Saturday, November 14, 2015

Settling into the "Beach" Life !

We have been here at the beach for about a month and are starting to settle in !  Make that relax.  The rain that was pelting us seems to have settled down and mid 70's and sunny are the norm.  In past posts I talked about our "job" here at the beach was to get in better shape, and it seems to be working.  I am at 31# loss since we left on this adventure last April and Brenda is down about 20.  We enjoy walking on the beach, riding our bikes, and working out on the boardwalk.  Our latest challenge was to ride over and back on the island Bridge................................



Down hill is easier than up hill !

It was about an 8 mile round trip ride, both the up hills were pretty hard, but we made it and worked up quite a sweat.


There has been some major progress back at our Son's house that we were helping build this last summer.  Thought I would keep you all up to date..........


This last weekend was the Lone Star Rally.  It is supposedly the 4th largest biker event in the US next to Sturgis, Daytona, and Laconia.  It was just up the road in the Beach / Island town of Galveston.  The four of us (Me and Bren, and Shannon and Debbie, our gracious hosts) headed down to check out the action................................ 




A good time.  As you can see the girls did some shopping.  I guess that is what they get for putting up with us checking out the bikes and cars..................  Along the street they had a booth set up for Galveston Island Brewing Company, and I for one will never pass up a chance to taste locally brewed beverages.  There Citra IPA was excellent.  I went back for seconds.  It is a pretty good duplicate to my all time favorite IPA at the Royal Oak Brewery.  In fact..........

Thursday, after pickleball (in Galveston) we found the location of this brewery and went in for another IPA.  Very cool, small, locally owned brewery.  Cool little tasting room too...............

So as we are hanging out I overhear something about a "secret tap" (the one in the pic above with out a handle).   I waited a few minutes and asked our bar maid "what was on the secret tap these days ?".   She knocked me over with her response.........it is a Stout called Sampson.  It is aged in Four Roses Bourbon Barrels !!  If y'all (texas slang) know me at all, I like Bourbon as much, if not more than beer.  Combine the two and yep you guessed it, Brenda drove home.  It was delicious and reminded me of my favorite Bourbon Barrel Beer, Goose Island Bourbon County.  We also left with a Growler of the IPA as they would not allow me a growler of the Sampson, but we will be back before they are out..........................

 Sampson !


Did I mention they have the coolest urinal ever !  Kinda kool that their beer starts and ends in a keg !




I will leave you with this sign that we saw in downtown Galveston that made us smile..................

More to come !


No comments:

Post a Comment